A Truck Accident Lawyer Lakeland, Fl Respects Explains Why Truck Crashes Often Occur
A truck accident lawyer in Lakeland, FL from David & Philpot, P.L. can tell you that there are about 350,000 tractor-trailer crashes every year in this country. These crashes kill approximately 4,000 victims and leave another 95,000 people seriously injured. At David & Philpot, P.L., we have represented many victims and their families in seeking financial justice for the devastating pain and loss these accidents cause. With years of experience advocating for truck accident victims, we understand how complex these cases can be. We also understand the importance of holding those responsible for such accidents accountable for their actions.
For accident victims who have experienced an accident at the hands of an 18 wheeler, you will likely be suffering immense pain. Trucking accidents almost always result in serious tragedies. Victims and their families will be seeking answers in the months following such a tragedy. Life will be forever changed, especially when managing debilitating injuries. Such injuries will require a Lakeland, Florida David & Philpot, P.L. truck accident lawyer who has the experience and wherewithal to help you weather the worst storm you stand to face. Our attorneys have the ability to help you find the answers to your case you may be looking for.
Where should I begin when considering legal action?
The aftermath of a trucking accident can be devastating. In the immediate moments following a trucking accident, you will want to first ensure that you are treated for your injuries. Medical treatment is imperative to ensuring that your condition is stabilized in the wake of an accident. If your injuries were substantial, it’s not uncommon for the responsible party’s insurance company to attempt to make contact with you. Do not engage with them before you have spoken with an attorney. Retaining legal counsel is key when taking action following a trucking accident.
Reasons Why Truck Accidents Occur
Although there are many factors which can cause a truck accident, a seasoned truck accident lawyer in Lakeland, FL knows there are several common reasons why these crashes occur.
One of the most dangerous factors that contribute to many truck accidents is the enormous pressure truck drivers feel to stick to unrealistic delivery and pickup schedules by the companies that employ them. All too often, their employers choose profits over safety. This pressure can cause a driver to ignore the rules of the road, as well as ignore the rules and regulations set by state and federal agencies who oversee the transportation industry.
- Speeding is one of the most frequent reasons why truck accidents occur. Often the reason a driver might speed is to meet their delivery goal in order to keep their job. The driver may then ignore posted speed limits, but a speeding truck can be just as lethal as a speeding bullet. Large commercial trucks require much more time than other vehicles to slow down or come to a complete stop. A truck driver who is speeding and suddenly has to come to a complete stop puts everyone around them at a high risk of injury or death. A truck accident lawyer in Lakeland, FL may be able to prove that the driver’s negligence led to your injury.
- Drowsy driving is another result of these almost unattainable schedules is that many truck drivers stay on the road driving longer than they are legally allowed to and/or skip required breaks. This means the driver is not getting sufficient rest and sleep, which can lead to exhaustion. Drowsy driving is quickly becoming one of the leading causes of truck accidents. Safety advocates say it is just as deadly drunk driving, affecting a person’s cognizant abilities and their reaction times. A truck accident lawyer in Lakeland, FL might subpoena the trucker’s driving logs to show they did not take their mandated breaks.
- Driver fatigue also leads to many drivers abusing prescription and over-the-counter medications that help them stay awake, as well as illegal drugs use. Drug use has also become a frequent factor in commercial truck crashes.
- Mechanical failure is another common cause of truck crashes. Commercial trucks often travel many miles at a time. This can put serious strain and wear and tear on the vehicle. Brakes, steering, and transmission failures are the most frequent mechanical issues discovered in truck accidents. It is the responsibility of the truck driver and the truck owners to inspect the vehicle on a regular basis and make sure that it is always in safe working order. A truck accident lawyer in Lakeland, FL can call on industry experts to provide this information in court. A lawyer from our firm might also subpoena records from the mechanic to ascertain if the truck was properly maintained.
What type of compensation could I retain?
The reality is, the more severe the accident and injuries, the higher the compensation a victim may be able to recover from an accident. The sheer force the impact an 18 wheeler produces in an accident can almost always result in serious damages. Although a trucking accident can yield higher settlements, an attorney won’t be able to provide you with an exact number from the get-go. We will first need to review the details of your case and take into consideration the following factors:
- Vehicle Damage
- Medical Expenses
- Injuries Sustained
- Pain and Suffering
- Lost Wages
Once we have reviewed your case, our attorneys will work to establish the appropriate value to your claim and begin taking steps to recover the compensation you are entitled to.
Who will be held responsible for my injuries?
This will largely depend upon the details surrounding the accident you experienced. Our attorneys review your case and work with you to determine who should be held responsible. Trucking accidents can be especially challenging because a number of people could be held accountable for the accident. Often, there may be a number of parties involved, including:
- The Truck Driver
- Trucking Company
- The Truck Manufacturer
We will work closely with you to determine who should be held responsible for injuries and take the lead in aggressively pursuing your claim.
Contact a Truck Accident to Advocate for You
If you or someone you love has been injured in a truck accident, you need a truck accident attorney who will get you the justice your family deserves. Call us to set up a free consultation with a truck accident lawyer in Lakeland, FL from David & Philpot, P.L. today.
If you have sustained injuries in a tractor-trailer crash, contact a seasoned truck accident lawyer Lakeland, FL residents recommend to find out if you may be entitled to financial damages for your injuries. The lawyers at David & Philpot, P.L. have advocated for injured clients for decades against insurance companies who don’t want to pay victims the compensation they deserve. When you need a truck accident lawyer in Lakeland, FL standing up for your rights, we are the firm to call.
Why Do I Need a Truck Accident Lawyer Lakeland, FL Victims Depend On?
When a person is injured in a vehicle accident caused by another driver, the typical procedure is that there is one at-fault driver and one victim. The victim or their lawyer will file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company for compensation for injuries. The insurance company will either agree to a fair and just settlement or the case will be litigated in court via a lawsuit.
But an accident with a commercial truck can be much more complex. It is not uncommon for there to be more than one at-fault party and more than one liability insurance company to deal with. This is why it is critical to have an experienced truck accident lawyer Lakeland, FL locals depend on in these types of accidents. In addition to the truck driver who was driving at the time of the crash, these entities may also be named in the claim and/or lawsuit:
- The trucking company who owned the truck. Because they own the vehicle, there is an automatic liability. However, a lawyer will examine just how culpable the company was by examining the circumstances of the crash. Did the company create unrealistic delivery schedule expectations on the driver which resulted in the driver speeding or staying on the road longer than what is legally allowed under the law? Did the trucking company hire an inexperienced or untrained driver? If the driver has a history of traffic violations, substance abuse problems, or other issues, why did the trucking company allow him on the road? If the accident was caused by a maintenance issue, how often did the company’s mechanics inspect and repair the vehicle?
- The company that loaded the products or cargo that the driver was to deliver. If the accident was caused because the load in the truck shifted or it was loaded over the legal weight limit, the company that loaded the contents may also be named in a truck accident claim.
- Truck part manufacturer. If the accident was caused by a damaged or defective truck part – such as a tire blow out from defective tires – the company that manufactured the defective product could be named as an at-fault party and be held liable for injury damages.
The outcomes that result from accidents involving 18 wheelers can be tragic. Chances are, victims of trucking accidents stand to face injuries that may be life threatening. As a result, a victim’s ability to function in the way they once did may be nearly impossible. Your ability to continue working are even enjoy life in the way you once did may be incredibly different. As someone who has suffered a trucking accident, you deserve to recover compensation for your suffering. With many years of experience in representing victims of trucking accidents, a lawyer from David & Philpot, P.L. can provide you with the counsel you deserve when facing the repercussions of a trucking accident.
Do I have a valid personal injury claim?
When a person is injured in a truck accident caused by the negligence or intentional harm of another party, they often turn to truck accident lawyers Lakeland, FL offers to learn what legal options are available to recover their damages. Even when the injury sustained by the victim is serious, there are many factors that should be considered before proceeding with legal action. When in doubt, contact a truck accident lawyers in Lakeland, FL from David & Philpot, P.L. We will provide you with a no-cost and no-obligation consultation to discuss your case.
What makes a personal injury claim valid enough to hire a Lakeland, Florida truck accident lawyer?
A personal injury claim may be 100% valid and should be pursued by the victim, but it may not warrant the representation of a lawyer. There are basically two scenarios:
- The claim is valid but the damages sustained are minimal. The smaller the claim’s value, the less likely the insurance carrier will fight you. By handling it on your own, you can avoid hiring a truck accident lawyer Lakeland, FL families can rely on. In addition, lawyers will usually not elect to represent a case if the value is too low to support their costs.
- The claim is valid and the damages sustained are substantial. In this scenario, the victim can also choose to represent themselves. However, the more damage involved, the more costly the damages are likely to be, and the larger payout the insurance company will have to provide the victim. When a claim’s value is substantive, the more likely the insurance company will dig their heels in and either deny the claim or else only offer a small percentage of what it’s actually worth. You can also count on the carrier to leverage their team of lawyers to fight your claim. If you hire experienced truck accident lawyers Lakeland, FL community members recommend to protect your rights, you increase your chances of a positive outcome. The difference between what you might receive as a settlement on your own and what your lawyer may negotiate on your behalf could be much more than what you will pay in legal fees.
How is a personal injury claim different from a lawsuit?
Many people who are injured by someone wish to sue that person for compensation. In some scenarios this is warranted, but most of the time it begins with a claim against the perpetrator filed by the victim’s lawyer. Here is how most injury cases play out:
- The victim’s lawyer determines the extent of their injuries and the costs associated with each, including medical treatment and sick day pay.
- The lawyer documents how the injury happened, who is responsible for having caused the injury, the total damages as well as any other pertinent information, and submits the claim to the at-fault person’s insurance company.
- If the insurance carrier offers a fair settlement to the victim, your lawyer accepts and takes their fee.
- If the insurance carrier offers a low settlement amount, the lawyer will negotiate to arrive at a fair offer.
- If the insurance carrier denies the claim, the lawyer will work with the carrier to provide the information needed for the claim to be accepted.
- If the insurance carrier refuses to act in good faith, either by not offering a fair settlement, or else continues to deny the claim, the lawyer may recommend to the victim that they follow up with a lawsuit.
Let a Truck Accident Lawyer Lakeland, FL Clients Trust Help
If you would like to speak with a Lakeland truck accident lawyer, contact David & Philpot, P.L. We are available to meet and discuss your case and offer guidance on what legal recourse you may have for the injuries you have suffered. A truck accident lawyer Lakeland, FL offers can help you get the justice you deserve.
Contact a compassionate truck accident lawyer Lakeland, FL provides today at (800) 360-7015 for a free case evaluation.
Truck Accident Legal Resources: