What Are The Risks Associated with PRP?

For any victim of a personal injury such as a car accident, bad slip and fall, or bad burn, treatment for these injuries can be tough and long. Platelet rich plasma, also known as PRP, is a minor medical procedure that can effectively treat medical conditions including back pain, arthritis, tendonitis, muscle issues, hair loss, and more. Research into PRP therapy is ongoing; however, due to the successful outcomes of several previous studies conducted in the U.S., the U.K., and Switzerland, more and more doctors are turning to PRP treatment over surgical procedures and strong medications. 

Potential Side Effects of PRP Therapy

Platelet rich plasma is considered to be a safe medical treatment for men and women of all ages. As an experienced hair loss treatment specialist – including Dr. Robin Unger – can confirm, because your own blood is being used in the procedure, the risk of an allergic reaction or infection is very low. Although the risks and side effects are minimal, you should be aware of some that could potentially affect you. That way, you can ask your PRP provider informed questions before you decide whether to commit to this procedure. 

Pain at the Site of Injection – Some patients have experienced pain, bruising, or aching around the site of the blood withdrawal, as well as, the site of the plasma injection. It can take 2-7 days for it to go away. Ice or heat may help to alleviate this discomfort, as well as, over the counter pain relievers. 

Infection – In very rare instances, an infection at the site of withdrawal or injection can occur. If you develop an infection, your doctor will likely prescribe you antibiotics. Due to the need for a sterile environment, it is important you choose a certified and registered PRP clinic. 

Allergic Reaction – As in the case of an infection, having an allergic reaction to your own plasma is possible, but extremely rare. It is unknown why this happens; however, if you experience this, your doctor will advise you of the necessary treatment which may involve medications. 

No Improvement – About 80 percent of patients will notice a significant improvement in the condition they are trying to treat. The remaining 20 percent, give or take, may not see as much difference as they would prefer. Researchers are trying to learn why this occurs. 

Skin Discoloration – The site of injection may become discolored as a result of bruising. This is most common with patients who are prone to bruising. In the event of you developing a very deep purple or black like bruise, you should let your PRP doctor know. 

Excessive Bleeding – If you have certain blood disorders or if you are taking a blood thinner, you may experience excessive bleeding at the site of injection. For this reason it is important to let your doctor know if these factors apply to you. In this case, PRP treatment may not be advisable. 

Again, significant side effects from this treatment are rare, as it is the body’s own blood products being utilized to stimulate regrowth and healing. However, it is important to understand the rare complications that can occur so that each patient can make treatment decisions that are as informed as possible. 

Contact a Lawyer Right Away 

If you or someone you know is affected from hair loss due to a personal injury case, you need to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible to make sure you get the treatments and care you deserve.