If you have been injured in a car accident involving a commercial truck, it is recommended that you talk with a truck accident attorney Longwood, FL drivers rely on for advice.
Can I file a counterclaim for my injuries from a car accident?
If you were injured by a negligent driver but that driver has filed a claim against you, you can protect your right to compensation with the help of a truck accident attorney Longwood, FL has to offer. Sometimes, in an effort to duck taking moral and financial responsibility for their actions, dishonest individuals will blame their victims for damages (real or fictional) that they caused themselves as a result of their own carelessness or negligence. This can lead to double frustration, stress, and financial worries for the victim who wishes to recover their damages and is faced with not only not getting fair compensation, but potentially having to pay the person who is the at-fault driver. Though this scenario is not extremely common, especially with a truck accident case, it does occur. With a seasoned truck accident attorney in Longwood, FL by your side, you can take a proactive position by counterclaiming (or countersuing) the liable party.
How does a lawsuit typically begin?
If the at-fault driver has filed a lawsuit against you, you may be best served by hiring an experienced truck accident attorney Longwood, FL respects, and without delay. If you wish to file a lawsuit against them, or counter sue them, you will also want to talk with a lawyer. In most cases, this is how a lawsuit evolves:
- The plaintiff’s accident lawyer serves the defendant with a legal complaint. The complaint will include the following:
- Detailed information about how they believe the accident happened. Included with the complaint will be as many facts as they can provide.
- An explanation as to why the defendant should be held accountable for the damages that resulted from the truck accident. The information must be directly related to current laws.
- A listing of the damages sustained by the plaintiff that resulted from the defendant’s actions or inaction, the costs associated with each damage.
- The defendant and their truck accident attorney Longwood, FL families know and prefer can respond to the complaint with arguments or denials to the accusations. The defendant also has the legal right to file a counterclaim against the plaintiff with the goal of getting a judgement of negligence against the other party.
What will happen if my countersuit is successful?
If your countersuit is successful, you may then be eligible to receive compensation from the other party for your damages. If you live in a comparative negligence state and the court determines that you and the other party share liability for the accident, then you may not recover 100% of your damages.
If your truck accident attorney in Longwood, FL advises you to simply respond to the claim and your response is sufficient, you may not have to pay compensation to the other party for their alleged damages. If you have already been served with a claim against you by the at-fault party, contact a truck accident attorney Longwood, FL offers who can provide you with the guidance you need to make an informed decision about your next steps.
To learn more about your legal options after suffering an injury in a collision, contact David & Philpot, P.L. to discuss your case.